Year-By-Year | application | information
students & Stories | faculty
about | home

Coke Whitworth | Chapel Hill, Nc


J. Carrier
Sharon Cekada
Lara Cerri
Cindy Chew
Angela Cleaver
Dan Dalstra
Andreas Fuhrmann
Angela Goodman
Ira Gostin
Chris Hall
Eri Oishi
Jenna Isaacson
Kristy May
Ted McLaren
Peter Meecham
Lindsay Miller
Adam Newman
J.O. Parker
Holly Pickett
Marc-Yves Regis
Kristin Roberts
Rosemarie Rogers
Genevieve Russell
Jan-Michael Stump
Bryan Van Der Beek
Todd Weddle
Coke Whitworth
Frank Wiese
Cliff Williams
• VIEW STORY: A Place At The Table •

Every weekday morning workers at the Pike County Nutrition Center prepare lunches for elderly Pike County residents. Sandy Bryant, the head cook at PCNC, gets to the center hours before lunchtime and begins preparing side dishes and main courses en masse. The Center serves and delivers up to 200 lunches daily. Bryant has missed only one day of work during her three and a half years working at the center. It's obvious she cares about her work.

"I don't worry that much about the pay here," says Bryant, "If you're gonna work here you've gotta love it and I really just love the people here." "A lot of the folks we serve really depend on us," says Jeff Forbis, PCNC food supervisor, "and so our main goal is to make sure they will get at least one really nutritious meal a day."

PCNC Administrator Lillie Sorrell says state and federal funding accounts for 70% of the budget at the center, but that leaves a very important 30% that needs to be covered by generous donations from the community. "The meal is free," says Sorrell, " but we are not a soup kitchen here. We really depend on those contributions."


Copyright © 2004 MPW. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

Home | About | Application.57 | History | Contact Us | Year By Year | MPW.54
MPW.55 | MPW.55 video | MPW.56 | Students.56 | Faculty.56 | Webmaster